View Single Post
Old 09-23-19, 05:32 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Originally Posted by RiceAWay
Of that group of attributes the ONLY one that is legitimate is "Trendy".

Since the comfort on a gravel bike is almost entirely the tires (with minor part being the geometry) the frame material means nothing. Light? Who worries about that on a gravel bike - especially when heavier gravel bikes tend to ride better? In what universe does a carbon fiber bike look better than any other material? I hate to put it to you but carbon fiber has been around since 1989. That's likely to be your age so that means it ain't "innovative".
No, they are all legitimate if the user views them as legitimate.
I am unsure as to why you think your opinion is actually factual and correct. Those arent the same. You speak as if what you value and view is the one correct way- it isnt.

Many carbon gravel bike utilize various forms of suspension within the frame and components. Stems, seat tubes, seat stays- these can flex to absorb vibration and improve comfort.
You claim only tires provide comfort, but actual users of these frames may disagree.

As for weight, many people 'worry'(consider) about that on their gravel bike. Why wouldnt they? As for a heavier gravel bike riding better- define this. What is light and what is heavy? I dont know why a 28# gravel bike would ride 'better' than a 22# gravel bike based just on the weight since, you know, I and many others have actual experience on this issue.

With regards to aesthetics, once again you claim your opinion as the correct view when it is simply an opinion. Carbon gravel frames come in many shapes and a lot of people find them to look good. This is based on actual observation of posts in the gravel forum and isnt just my personal opinion(my gravel bikes have all been steel frame).

As to carbon fiber frames being around since '89, it was before that when main brands were selling carbon frame road bikes. Regardless, technology has changed since 30 years ago- obviously. Seen a car recently? Seen a computer recently? Carbon use in frames has changed in that time too.

Oh, and I'm older than 30, but man I wish I were still that age!