View Single Post
Old 03-24-20, 07:06 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
For MoAlpha ’s amusement.

Yesterday I worked up a two year old dog for the presenting complaint of acute prechiasmic blindness after a month of stertor. Mass in the sphenoid sinus, extending through the skull into the olfactory lobes, compressing the optic nerves on the way. Weird thing, the radiologist thinks it will be a primitive neuroectodermal tumor. But we obtained biopsies rhinoscopically. Fungal and protozoal titers pending. Porotozoal is admittedly a long shot but I’m wanting to find something reasonably treatable in this dog.

I also saw a prechiasmic blindness in an 8yr old Lhasa Apso with a normal ERG from the ophthalmologist. Suspect optic neuritis, but sometimes a tumor like a meningioma in just the right place will cause these same symptoms. Owner is trying to gather funds for diagnostics, she’s currently out of work.

And then a 10 year old rat terrier with a 3 week history of dramatic cough and right hemiparesis. Supposedly screaming neck pain at home and his cervical posture looked painful to me, but I couldn’t elicit pain when I manipulated his neck. Supposedly trouble swallowing at home but his gag reflex was normal on my exam, and I watched him eat and swallow normally. He’s on doxycycline for the cough, so maybe that’s just making him gag since it tastes terrible. His cough sounds tracheal or bronchial and on chest/neck rads he has collapsing trachea and collapse of his mainstem bronchi. Enough to account for the cough but typically very chronic things and this owner swears up and down that this dog never coughed before three weeks ago. So Wed he will get a cspine MRI +/- CSF +/- bronchoscopy and tracheal/bronchial wash/culture.

Today I’m MRIing the cspine of a Rhodesian ridgeback with a pilonidal cyst. This came in through the surgery department and I’m easy as to who does the surgery, so I’ll do the planning MRI and they’ll do the surgery.