View Single Post
Old 09-04-19, 02:11 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
If flexible, you might set your sights a little further north. If you aren't set on a particular start or end point you could choose any section between Astoria Oregon and San Luis Obispo and be guaranteed beautiful scenery. The Oregon portion was really nice. FWIW the riding can be more challenging than you might expect for a coastal route. It can also be more remote at times. I was really surprised when there were free range cattle on the road at one point. All in all a great place to ride.
Mr Schoolboy, I did this trip 25 years ago, but I certainly do remember clearly what Staep is referring to. The summer before I had ridden most of the Pyrenees east to west, and so was surprised by the challenging aspects of the west coast trip. Yes, the climbs were not as long obviously, but there were plenty of short steep sections, so as long as you have some reasonably low gearing and at least be aware that it is not a "flat coastal route", you'll be fine.
Not sure how you are with hills, and or your expectations or wanting only California, but the Oregon section certainly is beautiful, and 25 years ago and even today, the aspect of how the scenery changed from start of my trip to the end was a neat part of rmemebering the trip and the route, and my enjoyment of it.

have fun whatever you do, but do be aware that any of it will not be flat like La Loire....