View Single Post
Old 09-23-20, 10:50 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,387 Times in 3,672 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris
A couple months ago @orcas island, who lives a few miles form me, offered this bike to me... free!
How could I resist? It was only the second time I have broken my rule about not acquiring bikes that don't fit me.
I thought I would do a little more clean up on it, learn a little bit about early Simplex derailleurs, and pass it on. Somewhere in the process of removing all the components I realized that I was emotionally much deeper into this project than I had anticipated.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. First let's tie up some loose ends. First a photo of the rear Exceltoo hub:

The rims are indeed 700c. I found the makers name very lightly engraved next to the valve hole. It is in an elegant script but I can't entirely discern it, maybe "Cervis" or Cervin." I can't get VeloBase to cooperate right now but I'm quite sure one of you can tell me what it is. The valve hole accomodates a schrader valve but I think that may be an after market alteration since the holes are a little ragged, the rim is lightly dimpled where the holes were drilled, and I find no chrome on the drilled surfaces.

Freewheel is Duban "Supremo."

The chain is Brampton... made in France!

Headset is "Lightrace."

I guess that last photo let the cat out of the bag.

I got a little over exuberant with the clearcoat and will have to let it cure for a few days before I can sand it. Torn between preserving the patina and getting rid of the battered brown finish I made sure that those on either side of the preserve/refinish debate will have a bone to pick with me. More photos and explanation once it's presentable.

In the meantime I could use a French bottom bracket cup to make into a thread chaser if any of you happen to have an orphan. The outside few threads on the fixed cup side are quite loose and ragged. I would like to rehabilitate them as best I can.

Brent
And here I thought you were only holding out on us with the OLMO.

This Follis is just fantastic, so glad you took it on.