Old 03-10-21, 02:35 PM
bnot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Get yourself a set of 25 pound weights and a set of 15 pound weights. Do curls with each until you can go no further. Which were you able to curl longer?

Whether you know it or not that is a similar thing to what you experience when constantly riding in rolling terrain or when climbing the side of a mountain.

If you are on level ground or going down hill all the time, weight is not such a big deal. Though if you have a 30 pound bike, I'll probably beat you in a short sprint. And I'm not that great a cyclist. Just a legend in my own mind sadly.
I'm not sure I buy your analogy. If I put on a 9 pound pack versus not having a 9 pound pack for a ride, I don't feel incredibly burdened or liberated. When the weight is on the bike instead of my body, it seems to matter even less. Also, supposing that I could lose some bike weight, where would it come off? Is the steel frame the big penalty? Bike tourers seem content with them even in this day and age.

Contrary to some other accusations, I am not arguing for the sake of justifying my convictions. I am genuinely curious. If I defend status quo it is because I want to be persuaded convincingly. I don't simply lust after novelty or want to buy a new thing without even understanding what is critical to obtaining a benefit from progress. So far, what I'm understanding is that I need to avoid steel frames and get lots of gears to experience progress. I'm not sure I have it right yet.