Old 03-04-16, 05:47 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
What is your average miles per week (or hours) for us old guys...

Originally Posted by RockiesDad
Since I am in this age group I was wondering what the average miles a week to most of you ride? I think there are two groups here, retired vs still working, and there might be a difference here due to our time constraints.…

Being retired offers the most options for riding so I'm curious on how many miles (or hours) you guys do a week? I would personally would try for about 2 hours 3-4 days a week for fitness when I do retire...

So how much does everyone here do?
I have previously posted to this thread, ”Why didn’t I ride”

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
My job; either too much to do, so I stay (comfortably) overnight and resume very early in the AM, missing my commute; or have to travel afar for a meeting.

Having a mileage-based training schedule however, effectively motivates me to make time to ride

And to a lesser extent, family activities. …
I have the opportunity to commute a minimal 14 miles one-way during the week (Commuter Rail home), and round-trip on Saturday all year-round, for about 100 miles a week. During the nice weather, I’d like to put in about 150-200 miles to train and do long rides.

In reality though, I probably get in about 20-30 miles per week during the winter, and maybe about 75-100 during the nice weather (to include early evening rides).

Just this week, I was presented with a golden motivation to achieve my optimal mileage. The organization I work for is promoting an “Activity Challenge,” for teams of five members to track their physical activity: type, intensity and duration, from March 6 to June 6, and points are assigned. Two of my co-workers are on an opposing team. Results will be posted weekly.

That may be just what I need to “win this one for the Gipper.”

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-04-16 at 09:05 AM.