View Single Post
Old 02-27-18, 09:47 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
@Hermes, this position stuff for me is just a process. Make a change, adapt, stretch stretch stretch, make another change, adapt, stretch stretch stretch. We’ll see where it goes.

My workout today went pretty well. I had a couple of 5 min hard intervals @ 115%. Missed on the second one but being in the ballpark a few days after the position change is good enough I think. Then a longer threshold interval which I essentially made, if you factor out the power drops from slow turns on account it wet roads.

Observations:
1. New position almost seems more powerful. I feel like I’m getting better leg extension and using more quads. I’m not sure I understand that, I’ll have to think it through. Might be a false impression too, it might just feel different.
2. Despite feeling more powerful, that power fades quickly. We’ll see what happens with adaptation.
3. Either way, pleasantly surprised that it doesn’t feel miserable
4. It was very cold out, in the low 30s, and damp. Weirdly I felt fine, not chilled at all. I have good warm gear.
5. I cannot see forward down the road with the low head position (as pictured above) with my everyday road helmet. The road helmet comes down too far on my forehead and has a little peak on the brim, which obscures vision with the head tucked low. It’s no issue to see with my head lifted a little and already this does not make my neck nearly as sore as it did just a few days ago. I think this is an instance where a little TT trainer time is called for. Train up the head/neck position sans helmet. Then try a little trainer work with the TT helmet (which sits way higher on my forehead and has generally great visibility). I am reluctant to train too much on open roads with the TT helmet because of its inferior crash protection. But I’ll have to do a little, maybe some bike path work during the desolate times of the day.
6. I’m thinking of having Mr. H carve me a styrofoam form that we can hang above the trainer. Something narrow so that I can sit up and easily swing it to one side. But enough to remind me of where the aero head position should be, and pick a spot to look at that corresponds to where I’d be looking if looking down the road.
7. Once I get to the point where I can ride with the head position at race intensity and decent duration, then head back for a follow up aero test. I expect this will take me a long time, possibly months. Patience.

Tomorrow I think I have some big gear work on the TT bike. Probably will pull out the trainer.