Old 03-02-18, 01:06 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Madera was a fun race and one of the few stage races around. I did it twice but decided after 6 laps through the rough road sections, my back had enough. When I raced fields filled quickly and we had 500 to 600 racers.

I guess we could debate why racers do not pre-register, make other racing choices or quit racing. And why racing does not attract new entrants.

I have a very simple no conspiracy theory - lack of promotion. There is insufficient promotion to drive new entrants to try the sport and fuel more interest in those that do.

I put that fact at the feet of professional racing, sponsors, endorsements and etc. Other sports have professional men and women stars that draw public attention and endorse products. Cycling has very few and our men flat out suck.

I was at a bar and on one screen was World Championship Track Racing. I watched team sprint and team pursuit. There were no american teams. I suspect the US women are there but who knows.

Who is the the USA men's star cyclist? What products does he endorse? Does anyone ride his bicycle? Do we see him on TV?

Also, I do not favor the conspiracy theory that somehow racing is not welcoming enough. It has never been welcoming and has always been full of a-holes. The same is true of golf, tennis, skiing, football, basketball and etc. If it were more welcoming, that would be great but cycling needs a promotion machine to motivate the un-motivated to try it. If new entrants meet nothing but a-holes and have a bad experience then I could see that being a problem.

I do not have a solution just making an observation. Me personally, I accept competitive sports for what they are and try to have a great time training and participating.

If racing dies, I will charge up Torrey Pines hill or do a 500 at the track and post my times and write a race report.