Thread: Glaucoma, guys?
View Single Post
Old 01-22-19, 06:42 AM
maddmaxx 
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
I was diagnosed with glaucoma last year to go along with my cataract replacement lenses in both eyes and several retina detachments, some requiring laser surgery to repair. I went through several different eye drops with very poor results. Timolol almost put me in the hospital when it reacted with my blood pressure meds. I've had the laser surgery for glaucoma in both eyes. It worked for one and at first didn't work for the other. My pressures were hanging around 19/20 which is supposed to be "ok" but the doc was worried because he could already see some optic nerve damage.

At any rate when the drops started giving me trouble I saw my regular doctor and we determined that my blood pressure control meds had stopped being effective. At the time I was taking Vallsartin and we doubled the dose just before it was taken off the market because the Chinese manufacturers were found to be using a cancer causing material. Losartin now at the double dose rate. The eye doc was surprised that the pressures dropped off to 15/16 at that point because the two are not supposed to be related. He thinks the laser work that didn't seem to work at first finally took hold????

I agree though that the drops are a pain in the ass. Anything that slows my vision loss for another few years however will have to be lived with.