View Single Post
Old 04-05-19, 12:35 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Originally Posted by Nessism
The primary need for fueling during a ride relates to carbs, not protein, so whether someone is a vegan or not is irrelevant. I suppose if a really long ride is being performed some intake of protein would be beneficial, but the amount should easily be accounted for with energy bars w/protein and such.
If you stick to whole grain foods and are doing rides where you are eating 3-4000 calories/day, getting enough protein is not an issue. So except for events like RAM, I see little need for protein bars. And on really long rides, real food is a blessing! For the head and sanity! I ate peanut butter, honey and cheese sandwiches on very long rides for decades. Now that I am dairy-free, I don't know yet what will take the place of the cheese but I know it can be done. Just PB and honey works pretty well. (Cashews spread over the PB? Just thinking with my fingertips but that sounds quite edible.)

Ben