Old 04-11-19, 05:38 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
When I was a little kid, I had one of those tiny red firetrucks with push-pedals. Then when I was 8 and my older brother 11, we'd leave our Alaska homestead house after breakfast and roam the uninhabited countryside for miles. My mom had the bell off the front of my firetruck and the rule was that around noon and suppertime we had to be within hearing range of her ringing that bell on the porch so we could come in and eat. We were pretty good about it.

I remember one time when our parents were gone to town, we were playing trucks in our homestead clearing, when a pack of wolves entered it from the opposite side. We froze. The wolves didn't even look at us, they just went in a line, head to tail, in one side of the clearing and out the other, maybe 50' from us. That was very cool. It is said you can take the boy out of Alaska, but you can't take Alaska out of the boy. I'm still that way.

Nutrition was pretty basic. We never drank sodas, that's for sure. Why would we do that? We drank milk. We bought our bread at the used bread store, Velveeta cheese, etc. My mom was raised in Iowa back when the only honest profession for women was nursing.