MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10103 Post(s)
Liked 5,783 Times in 3,112 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
Back when I still rode outdoors in the winter I managed to get a pretty good setup that was sufficient into the high-teens/low twenties. Lobster gloves served me well into the 20s (with Kansas windchill) and I wasn't greatly hampered with shifting/braking etc--but I won't pretend they were as nimble as no gloves.

Mine are Pearl Izumi and I don't know how much they cost because they were a Christmas present from my wife. But I have no complaints.

I have some bar mitts too which are fantastic, you can ride in the teens with just a thin glove on your hands. But they limit you to the hoods, if you're on a drop bar bike. And they're a minor hassle to take on and off. And when it gets that cold there are other limitations and drawbacks and I just generally don't ride that much.
All this goes for me too, if you increase the temp limits by ~10º. Lobster gloves are essential, but they still leave the thumbs isolated and that's what goes numb on me first. I have pairs of PIs and Bontragers, both good with the afore-stated reservation. Bar mitts are great too and I use them from the mid 20s downward, but they're awkward and usually restrict the riding position to the hoods.