Old 09-03-20, 09:46 AM
Uspsated

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Utility Bike for trails/gravel (Farm work)

Hello There,

I do some work on some farmland. There are gravel roads and some rutted trails to get to where I work. This i no problem for a quad, but I want to start using some kind of utility bicycle. I don’t need the capacity of the quad for most of my travels.

A mountain bike with very wide tires would do okay, although for this one trail I was considering a fatbike like a Surly Wednesday or Ice Cream Truck. The fatter tires would help with the mud and I think would help with the extra weight. What I would be carrying would be some hand tools and some hardware like bolts/nuts, etc. Maybe 40 to 60 pounds.

I currently have an originate front rack on my bike I ride around the neighborhood. It is a nice rack, and I was thinking of something like that on the new bike.

Either way, I was figuring to put front and rear racks on the bike. But if I put a tool box on the rack, I would really want to keep the bike upright so everything doesn’t dump out, and it would be easier to work off the bike.

Can anyone direct me to some kind of pannier that has a built in kickstand, or some other option to put a stand on such a bike?

Or alternatively, is there a better solution for a utility bike gravel and dirt trails that I did not consider?

Thank you!