Old 09-17-20, 02:08 AM
Aldatroid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by guy153
That looks really good! But are those bottle cage boss holes on the back of the ST in the second picture? They can be filled in but I hope the BB shell is the right way round with the left-tighty side on the right. If it's not you'll actually be fine, just throw a bit of loctite on there. Have so far avoided that particular mistake myself but a friend got it on the wrong way around on a bamboo frame and I fortunately remembered his pain

Angle iron is not the best reference surface but it's good enough especially for a first frame. It's not like one's going to be riding the bike on a road made out of Blanchard-ground steel plates.
Haha good catch on the bottle cage boss holes!! The second after I had the holes drilled I realized I'd match the DT and everything to the wrong side of the ST... I was pulling my hair for a minute there but though "**** it, I'll just plug them and continue". It's correctly oriented now

The angle iron indeed sucks. Wasn't planning on using it at first but didn't have any other ideas on how to hold the tubes etc. The BB needs to be angled slightly when it's standing on it's side so I used a square washer for the base with a threaded rod going through, pushing a corner of the washer, angling the BB in the direction of the ST. Looks pretty good now but I'm sure it's off so need to check alignment properly after I've faced the BB shell etc. Created a "Not so fancy alignment gauge" based on Paul Brodies "Fancy Alignment Gauge" and checked the ST and DT that way and they're OK. Haven't been able to check twist though.
Likes For Aldatroid: