View Single Post
Old 02-20-19, 10:52 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,451 Times in 1,823 Posts
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
A white kid confessing to murdering a brown man and getting a two year sentence because <reasons> is institutional racism.
Generally i avoid stirring the pot but every now and then I see something so ridiculous, so far from any semblance of sense .... I know I must be reading Bike Forum....

A person committing a crime of passion, assaulting the man who badly beat the perpetrator's mother the day before, is not a racist, regardless of the range of skin tones potentially involved.

Are you arguing that only people of a certain skin tone care about their mothers?

And a teenaged male, 17 years of age, seething with testosterone, which causes aggressive behavior, and filled with hatred because he watched his mother get beat, enraged to see the batterer out on bail, and finding himself behind the wheel of a motor vehicle when the batterer was on a bike and thus vulnerable---the ten probably was too intimidated to take on the abuser face to face, but now, he had the upper hand .... and note that the teen had a couple of legal scrapes for pot and underaged drinking (pretty normal) but no history of violence at all ..... Notice there was no mention of shade of skin? The story has Nothing to do with race.

The only racist is the person seeking out a racist explanation, and calling everyone else a "racist."

Pointing out institutional racism is not racist.
Which is why I am not a racist for pointing out that you are.
Thinking it's more acceptable for someone to be murdered because they were out on bail awaiting sentencing for another crime? I'm not sure what kind of misguided rationalization to call that.
Right? Becasue that actually wasn't what happened here ... but like the fake "racism," trope, this is another of your fabrications designed to show how superior You are.

As I explained above, the judge reacted to the facts---the driver had just watched the abuser abuse his mother, the driver was 17, and at an age when there is a Lot more at play than cold, emotionless reading of laws, the driver had no history of violence ... the sentence was light because of what smart people recognize as 'mitigating circumstances.

I am sure if someone sexually assaulted you, and you attacked that person from behind a few days later, you would want the prior act and your otherwise spotless record of non-violent racism to be weighed.

I have already stated that I think the driver should have gotten the minimum, and early release with good behavior. I assume that with a two-year sentence the kid goes from a local ail to a real prison ... and once that happens a ton of damage is done in a hurry. Pretty horrible environment, and it warps people (well ... based on the many convicts I have known pretty well.) Usually local jails have 364-day max, so any sentence of a year or over means the convict goes to prison.

But to ascribe the light sentence to racism, or to deliberately refuse to understand why the sentence was light ... Willful ignorance is the most dangerous disease affecting this nation.