View Single Post
Old 06-11-20, 09:13 AM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by venomx
How’s the best way ? I use WD40 occasionally and it really helps when they get dry but I’ve never cleaned the chain before ?
It sounds like you're looking for the basics of keeping your chain clean and lubed, and not how to completely strip it down to bare metal.

If I'm guessing right, you can use the WD-40 as a cleaner. It does a decent job of washing away grime. Just spray it on, wrap a rag around the chain and spin your pedals backwards. Do that a few times, or until it's pretty clean.

The important thing is to use some kind of chain lube after that. WD-40 is not a good lube. Although it has some light oils, it's better used as a solvent.

Fortunately, chain lubes have been discussed a time or two on this forum if you need help choosing one.

If I guessed the intent of your question wrong, and you want to get it down to bare metal, you need to remove the chain, put it in a jar of mineral spirits, shake it up, wipe it down, and repeat until the mineral spirits stay clear. Then you can do that jar thing again with 90 percent rubbing alcohol. Let it dry. Now it will be ready for waxing, which is usually the only reason people get their chains this clean.