View Single Post
Old 12-15-20, 06:58 PM
Kat12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 280 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
Its entry level, near or at the bottom of the line, based on the stamped dropouts, brake safety levers, stem mounted shift levers, nutted hubs and the several components. It's also appears to be no earlier than 1980s based on the aero crankarms and is probably early 1980s but the non-drive side photos complicate narrowing down the date range.

I don't believe this to be an actual Maruishi but a Maruishi owned Eagle Ace brand. Even on the ladies' models, the Maruishi brand name was placed on the down tube, whereas this one has Eagle Ace in that location. This is further supported by the large Eagle and 'E' on the head badge, which I haven't seen on any actual Maruishi brand bicycles.

There is a label at the bottom of the seat tube, which may indicate the country of origin. If it's other than Japan, that would confirm a contract manufactured bicycle.
I know it's early 80s for sure, because the guy I bought it from bought it new in the early 80s (it was his daughter's bike). And yes, it does say made in Japan (the sticker is right next to the serial number).

I had wondered about the logo as well, considering that everything I read about Maruishi talks about kangaroos and this has nary a marsupial anywhere. (That is the only place it says "Maruishi," as well.) Unfortunately, Google nets absolutely nothing, so I'm unlikely to ever know much.