Old 03-03-21, 08:06 PM
Skiddz

Bikes: 2018 Norco Fluid HT2+, 2020 Specialized Sirrus x 5.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by davela72
I recently stumbled across this thread as I recently picked up a new 2020 X 5.0 in the sage green. It was hard to believe the shop still had this bike from last year. They cut me a bit of a break on the price and I pulled the trigger.

While there, I discussed the option of getting both brakes converted to the right side. I have a brachial plexus condition from birth leaving little use in my left arm/hand. With this, I couldn't operate the front brake lever. The bike shop recommended I take a look at Hope as they make such a brake lever. My journey started there and what an adventure it was trying to locate the parts and get everything installed. After multiple emails, phone calls, etc., I had everything I needed, or so I thought.

The Hope Tech3Duo lever came as a kit with the E4 calipers which are post mount and I had failed to realize the bike has flat mount calipers. The front could have worked with adapters but there was no way the rear caliper was going to fit that frame. After more research, I discovered that Hope does indeed make a flat mount X2 road caliper. I talked to Hope and they told me they had them in stock and to have my local bike shop give them a call and they'd get them on the way. These bolted up with ease although I still needed the correct flat mount adapters but no big deal.

I've made a few more changes such as adding some Nukeproof 700mm bars with a 25mm rise along with Hope bar ends and some Ergon grips. I purchased some nice aluminum spacers (The Bike Sauce) for the future shock to raise it up a bit as well.

I'll try to get my post count up so I can post some pics.
Good choice on the bike! If you aren't already aware, be sure that the shop completed the inspection/re-torque on the crank assembly - the left crank arm can come loose and the arm fall off the spindle. This happened on my bike (2020 X5.0, but not my girlfriend's 2020 X4.0 that I purchased at the same time). Even afterwards, I frequently check the torque on the bolts on all my bikes to preclude any further issues. Here's a link for you that identifies the issue: Specialized crank arm