Old 04-23-19, 11:30 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by ToddTheBod
Although not everything the pros do is something that should be copied or repeated by us mere mortals, the large majority of elite sprinters use Shimano SPD-SL or Look Keo pedals/cleats. Plenty of elite enduros and pursuiters use Speedplays, though.

Having myself pulled out of Keos whilst using straps (worn cleat) on a start, I think it might be worth considering a separate pedal/cleat system for the track, even if you still like to ride Speedplays on the road.
I've only known 1 elite sprinter to use Speedplay pedals...ever. Most use SPD-SL. A much smaller number (like Matt Baranoski) use LOOK KEO MAX 2 (spring, not blade) with straps. I think the French team uses LOOK pedals, with straps.

LOOK KEO (spring and blade) max release tension is maybe half of what you can dial in on SPD-SL. I can pull up (good pedal form) and out of LOOK pedals. If you are strong and use them, use straps.

Originally Posted by Baby Puke
NJS straps seem to be making a minor comeback in the pro ranks. I think a couple of the Dutch sprinters are on them.
NJS straps are the best engineered product for the job. The clasp is a modern marvel. The fact that they stay open as you try to get into them on the boards is awesome. NJS straps don't stretch or disintegrate. BLS (and the like) aren't "more aero". That's just marketing.