Old 05-21-19, 06:06 PM
DMNHCAGrandPrix

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 23 Posts
I've been to Eroica CA five years in a row, and it's been a great experience every time.
There have been wonderful people, amazing bikes, and beautiful routes each year.
The routes are challenging enough that deciding to participate has always helped me set training, weight, and equipment goals that begin long before the event (and last long after).
Signing up has also been medicinal at times. I had substantial injuries or surgery in 2014 and 2017 that could have greatly reduced my cycling the following year. Knowing I was signed up for Eroica was an extra motivator that got me back on the bike sooner, riding more miles, climbing more hills, and recovering faster for 2015 and 2018.
By bringing different bikes and choosing different routes, I've also learned LOTS more about vintage bikes and components, different era and country styles, and even single vs. tandem riding.
The rides are challenging enough that I learned more about gearing, and weight, and tires, and reliability of components, helping me become a better mechanic as well as a better rider.
And of course, one of the greatest joys has been reconnecting with old friends and making new ones each year.
Every Eroica CA edition has gone into life's storehouse of really memorable experiences, with ripples that expand ever outward.
I'm already signed up for 2020, and hope to see you there!