Old 02-26-20, 02:50 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels
So I don't usually talk about work stuff, but I would genuinely like advice as to how to proceed with this.

I am in management and essentially have one minor boss and one big boss above me. EVERYONE in management is a workaholic but me. I arrive early every morning (10-15 minutes usually) because my morning just works that way. I have a few people that work directly for me. A couple of them are habitually late, but something like 2 or 3 minutes. I really do not care one way or the other because they are good workers and get their jobs done without any hassle or chasing them down. My big boss is just not having it. They had a big push/scare middle of last year to get our employees in line and clocking in before 8 a.m. every morning. As a result, the parking lot tends to be pretty full even when I get in at 7:45.

So he's asked me a couple of times to address my group and get it under control. I am quite transparent that it is coming from above and is to be taken seriously. Well I just got an email that he is frustrated to the point of putting out a job listing to replace some people because he's tired of dealing with it. One of the people is a degreed engineer who is a huge asset. I want to tell him that it's not worth getting upset over a few minutes every day for a guy who gets stuff done, has a lot of knowledge, does a chunk of our CNC work, etc. Not to mention he eats short lunches at work and is often here after 5. My boss is just plain obsessed with everyone being present before 8 a.m.

I took this a while back as just being a battle not worth fighting. I think I am just going to have to speak to each person one on one and impress upon them the importance (i.e. they might get replaced) of adhering to this policy. It's just frustrating for me on both ends, really.
******g drones.

If you have any production numbers that you can point to, to illustrate their productivity, it might be helpful. Otherwise, rationalizing with someone with an irrational bug up their ass is going to be a no-win situation; talk to your underlings one-on-one as planned.

What's the structure like there, anyway? I would imagine that, in a lot of environments, letting someone go for something so minor would be potential minefield in terms of wrongful termination, etc, and that there would need to be a ton of communication/formal warnings before even considering that course.
Likes For WhyFi: