no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
Yeah, don't ya just love it when people prejudge others? A few years back when I was at a concert in Downtown St. Pete known as First Friday. A guy came over to me and told me that his buddy had thought that I was "homeless." The guy who came over to me pointed out several things on my bike to his buddy to educate him as to why I wasn't homeless, i.e. Crank Brothers Eggbeater pedals, the bike itself a Specialized Hardrock, the pannier rack, the pannier bags, the kit that I was wearing.

Most recently I was talking with one of the guys who works for the security company that patrols the apartment complex where I live. He confided in my that the first few times that he saw me coming in that he thought that I was a druggie looking to score. But that I always "disappeared" too quickly before he could catch up to me to see what I was up to. I guess the fact that he pretty much always saw me in full kit, as well as having multiple lights on my bike, or that I was riding an excellent quality bike store bike wasn't enough of a clue. I mean aren't most druggies/junkies riding around on "beater bikes," and trying to "fly under the radar?"

I've been "accused" of being a rolling Christmas tree, a small very low flying plane, a UFO/alien/ET. I mean I have enough lights on my bike that I am visible at least a 1/4 of a mile away. Oh yeah, add to that that I usually have a chem light zipped tied to my front and back wheel. Inconspicuous I am NOT.
In the early 80's when I was just out of college, I was selling expensive tires in a run down section of Chicago when a lady walked in who looked like she might have been homeless. I talked with her for a while about the tires we sold, and told her it would cost about $650 for a set for her car. She showed up a few hours later with a rumpled paper bag full of money (mostly singles and fives) and by the time we got done counting the money from the bag we had enough money to pay for the tires she wanted spread out over most of the front counter. It turned out she worked nights and had been saving the tips she got at work under her bed until she had enough to pay for the tires she really wanted.