View Single Post
Old 09-16-20, 10:52 AM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by SVTNate

Man, I fell in behind this kid (well he was probably early 20's) on some road bike that wouldn't impress the coffee shop folks, black tee, black jeans, black basketball shoes that were untied a bit.

I don't ride on the wheel of strangers, but I was about 6 behind him, had to give him room on the very mild climbs, but on the flats he'd pull away consistently. His legs bowed out, jeans baggy and heavy, a mess....

But man, this kid was quick.

I figured that I'd let him accordion back and forth in front of me.... he'd look back, stand on the pedals, make distance, and at the top of the next hill, I'd be on him. Just a steady pace.

This went on for 6-ish miles. I figured he was gonna turn off, or get tired... nope.

Slowly, he kept putting distance on me, until he probably got 1/4 mile ahead of me after probably 8-9 miles.

I'm not saying I'm anything, but hey, I had proper cycling shorts, and shoes, and my bike is fitted to me, and I do ride 100-ish miles per week, more than most folks (less than many of you).

Finally, as darkness fell, I made him out on the side of the road ahead, texting someone. He looked up, saw me, with a big grin on his face. I just smiled and gave him a thumbs up.

Made my day, honestly.
He must’ve been going to meet a girl. It’ll do that to ya when you’re young.
Likes For one4smoke: