View Single Post
Old 01-09-06, 09:59 PM
Dahon.Steve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by eofelis
I wonder about the house-buying thing....

I've heard the house called "the ultimate possession"

My parents never owned a house. They rented a very small house in a rural area when I was growing up. I had miles of woods and fields to roam in, and my parents didn't seem unhappy that they didn't own the house. After my dad passed away, my mom wanted to move closer to town. She gave 30 days notice and moved out (I had moved out before then). So it never really occured to me that you had to own a house.
I would love to own a house. I've seen so many people buying homes recently with interest rates being low as they are today. It irks me to not have the downpayment to put down on a new home but the thought of borrowing hundreds of thousands and being in debt to my eyeballs scares the heck out of me. The least expensive home around my way are going for 275K and up and you need an income of 70K a year to qualify for the mortgage plus the 10% down payment and closing costs! It's just too much for me.

I don't know how people are buying all these homes at outragous prices can sleep at night. Home prices continue to go through the roof and I don't know when it's going to end but I'm priced out.