Old 01-08-19, 01:16 PM
BobL

Bikes: 2005 Airborne Titanium Upright; 1998 Trek 5200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
A bicycle will fall over unless the rider does something to keep it upright.

A recumbent trike will stay upright unless the rider does something (extreme!) to make it flip over.

Hah! Thanks for that and your other post. The trikes I've seen (not many) seem to all have a low CG like that JC-70 you mentioned. It just looks like you'd have to work at getting it to roll, but I think I got the idea that you can't fall off one from someone posting around here about riding a trike on ice. It slides sideways but doesn't fall over, unlike a regular bike.

Here in central Florida, icy roads are purely a mental exercise. My wife though, has two replacement hips and is having some pains with one - I think it's getting close to needing replacement at 16 years since she had it done. She hasn't started riding with me since I got back to riding last August, but I haven't ruled it out. She has to get on her road bike with an extremely awkward move, leaning it over and stepping over the frame. Not having to do that coupled with a lower chance of falling argue for an easy to get into trike.

Since I'm retired, I have the privilege of riding in the daytime and haven't given a serious thought to upgrading my taillight or headlight. I saw someone riding the other day with a flashing tail light in the middle of the day. It makes sense, probably more so on cloudy days. Likewise, I haven't given any thought to electric assist and I know that's gotten cheaper and more effective.

I have an early version of Cygolight's Dual Cross LED headlights. I just had to rebuild the battery pack because the original NiMH batteries died of old age. I switched over to Li-Ion batteries.