Old 07-02-08, 03:18 PM
Triguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well Done, but I need to add a 76 degree reaction...

Reason to be open and accepting of 76 degree STA:

1. It isn't always more aerodynamic. Yeah, a flat back looks cool, but when your seat is around 78-82 degrees, it is significantly higher(1+cm) than if it were around 76. This means that as a whole your body is sitting higher in the air, meaning a flat backed steep position is often less aerodynamic than a slightly rounded more slack position. Check out the FA positions on biketechreview.com. Secondly, having more weight on your front end often requires wider arms and shoulders. Long ago Lances aero gurus agreed that getting narrow had big gains with less negatives on power and comfort than getting low. For an N=1 perspective, I brought my seat back 4cm and down accordingly, my power files suggest no change in aerodynamics but my crotch neck and power files sure thank me.

2. Muscle balance. When I run(yes I am an "efficient" FOP runner), my muscles are used fairly evenly. My hamstrings as much as my quads. This is the way running should be done and if you're doing it the right way, you should be using your muscles evenly on the bike. Steep riding causes an excess in use of the quads. A slacker STA(76ish) promotes balanced muscle usage, which should produce more power and allow better pacing for better running.

I don't think Steep or slack is right or wrong. It's an individual choice. I think however that right now steep is a fad and as with any fad, it's leading to misinformed decisions and consumer pressuring.