View Single Post
Old 08-17-18, 03:18 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by 124Spider
Ah, another one who thinks I'm crazy, who somehow knows that what did happen couldn't happen. That's fine.

Gravity is a weak force, but it always wins. The bike hung there for a long time without being moved. The wheel became oval. Verhy oval. Yes, it actually happened. No, the wheel didn't get "bent in the process of hanging it," it got bent while hanging there in one position for a long time.

Gee, ever heard of the tides? Gravity is quite something!

Have I not been clear enough that I don't care what counter-arguments people throw at me as to why I needn't worry about it happening again (or, even sillier, why it didn't actually happen in the first place)?

Ok, I'll say it again--I'm not going to hang a bike by its wheel(s) ever again. EVER AGAIN. I will, however, suspend it from the ceiling upright; just asking about what's the best tool for that.

There. What's the over/under on how many posts until someone yet again argues?

Mark
The wheel had a serious problem that hanging revealed, thereby preventing a potentially catastrophic failure on the road. Hanging the bike may have saved your and your stoker's lives by exposing a major problem with your wheel. So lucky it failed on the bike hook rather than on a fast descent. Wow, talk about dodging a bullet!

However, it would be a good idea to do everything in your power to prevent that from happening in the future. Much better to reveal a wheel problem by screaming down a hill at 40+ mph!