Old 11-15-19, 04:24 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,396 Times in 2,093 Posts
Can't end the day without an update on the Gazelle either. My thornproof tube arrived for the back (though I'm on the fence whether a tubeless conversion would make sense), so I finally had a chance to button up enough of it (no rear brakes, squealing fronts) for a quick test ride.

I had a hunch that I would have a problem with the hub (@dweenk was very clear that he had bought the hub used on Craigslist, and since the X-RF8 has a reputation for a few issues, we were both aware that it might be troublesome), and it didn't let me down. It will not engage 4th without major slippage, and sixth gear...gives me third gear. Didn't expect a downshift on an upshift! Everything else is OK though, and my knees really thank the hub for the low ratios in first and second.

Had the chaincase closed up just enough to keep it aligned. Pedals are temporary, from the parts bin.

Originally Posted by JaccoW
Hey, the offer still stands. Let me know if you still want to get your hands on them.
I'm still open to the idea if the NL sources you found still have both the left and right versions. If not, I might spring for the black ones, which - IIRC - were available both left and right.

Originally Posted by JaccoW
As for the light, Marwi/Union offers the UN-4936 STEADY though I only see the 40lux version with standlight in German webshops.

Alternatively, you could hack a modern light like a B+M Cyo into the housing of a vintage light. Provided it is large enough of course.
I might have a source for a light with the guts that I need, but I'm going to shut up lest I jinx the opportunity.

I love the beveled housing shape of that particular lamp; the bevel looks like a jet engine.

What brand of dynamo hub is on that Gazelle? It looks like a Sturmey GH6, but the details aren't right. I wouldn't mind putting one of those on the Bottecchia.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 11-16-19 at 06:29 AM.
Likes For cudak888: