Old 12-08-19, 11:58 AM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by bwilli88
What are you going to do with the duplicate?
Originally Posted by Boxkite
Yes... good save! Now you can build 'twins'!
I have the parts to build this one too by stripping our old tandem. That was the plan in the first place but I got "upgraditis" and ended up buying new just about everything. I'm toying with the idea of building this one as a cargo bike by making a rack system that replaces the stoker but I haven't decided yet. The original Northwoods tandem has a high top bar in the stoker position which makes it hard for my wife to get on and off of plus it uses a frame mounted chain tensioner for the timing chain which never seems to stay in alignment and the chain jumps off at all the wrong times. It's not worth anything as a complete bike so I might as well pick it clean and build both Raleighs. The Raleigh frames are stiffer, have a lower top bar and use eccentric front bottom brackets to put tension on the timing chain. I was shocked at how much lateral flex there is on a tandem, the Northwoods wasn't bouncy up and down but the side to side rock when pedaling was quite noticeable when climbing, especially for the stoker.

This is the old one, it was fun but had definite short comings.