View Single Post
Old 10-25-13, 12:46 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,193 Times in 606 Posts
Originally Posted by lhbernhardt
... Carbon seems to be the best material for a fork strong enough to handle a disc, but no one makes a carbon fork for discs with a straight 1 1/8" steerer AND an axle-to-crown distance of 370mm (road bikes). They make this for cyclocross bikes with a 400mm axle-crown distance, but this would raise the front end and affect the trail, and therefore the handling. ENVE's disc fork has the 370mm axle-crown dimension, but the steerer is tapered (1 1/8 to 1 1/4"). I don't understand why the bike industry has not cottoned on to retrofitting road bikes with a front disc; seems like a profitable no-brainer to me! What would make more sense than running disc front/caliper rear for those still wary of road discs on long, steep descents?

So at this point, it would seem to make sense to have a steel fork custom built (by a reputable US builder) to the proper dimensions and with the standard disc braze-on. I see this as about the only justification for a steel fork these days.

Luis
Would 380 a/c be close enough?? Pretty sure the (cf) steerer is not tapered on this one.
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/evolution...res-prod25964/