Old 03-22-17, 04:14 PM
Mark Manner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Rereading this thread as I'm considering the Sugino OX901D crank and just wanted to acknowledge this beautiful bike and thank the owner for his informative posts.

@Mark Manner, how does Sugino deal with chainline? Spacers? What bottom bracket are you using?

My frame is PF30 and I'm using an Enduro TorqTite PF30 to Shimano 24mm bottom bracket with Ultegra compact road cranks. If I need lower gears the the Sugino would be my choice and I'm hoping that it would drop in without having to change out an expensive bottom bracket.

-Tim-
Hi Tim, sorry I missed this a couple days ago. I am using a regular shimano road bottom bracket (Ultegra BB R60). It is supposed to fit fine with that bracket, and it does work well. However, it is a bit tighter going in than normal, and requires a tap or two from a rubber mallet or a leather shoe heel to get it in. It should work with yours since I was using before an Ultegra compact crankset with the same bottom bracket. The chainline seems pretty similar to my Ultegra before it. No spacers with my English bottom bracket needed. I don't know about the PF30-PF30 to Shimano system so can't say if that would affect it in any way. Wouldn't seem to if you were using a normal Ultegra compact crankset with it. The only odd thing I have noticed about the Sugino 46/30 is that on a friend's bike that I installed one on last week, he had somewhat odd fin-shaped chainstays, and the rear bottom of the front derailleur cage was pretty close to the chainstay after we dropped it down to fit the 46 tooth chainring. I doubt that would be an issue but thought I would mention it in case you had odd really tall chainstays. Let me know if you have other questions, I have 3 bikes now with those cranks.
Best, Mark [and thanks for you comment on my bike]