Old 12-04-18, 04:00 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Chill, bud, I was trying to say that I don't care about the UCI rules, nor do I need them. In such discussions I have had people tell me 'just follow UCI.' I need a lot of setback due to my heavy upper body (no, it's not brawn), and can't get it with most road frames (including my Mondo's) without very set-back seatposts and long-railed saddles like Selle AnAtomica and Specialized Toupe and their other models. I hope you don't think I want to slam my saddle forward. I do not. Perhaps it would cause me to go over the handlebars, but I also have enough skill and experience to slide my weight backwards in a panic stop or other risky situations. Or by "pitchover" do you mean a wheelstand where the rider falls on his ass behind the bike? I guess I have not raced enough (meaning: not EVER) to have launched my ass off the back of the bike.

I never heard of racing bikes (road) being unstable based on going farther forward than the UCI limit, not have experienced anything like that. Can you describe the instability and in what situations it arises if its something other than going over the bars?

"It's a simple rule:" -- do you advocate it for all BF members? I don't think I understand your point. I should have said "it doesn't accommodate a FULL range of saddles." My bad.

Please, clarify your "peanut gallery" comment. If you mean me, let's take it offline. It's hard to understand if that pejorative phrase is meant for anyone in particular. I thought I was asking a sincere question.

One of my points was that with an S-A, the nose screw is supposed to be adjusted as you ride and stretch the saddle. This is unlike the other leather saddles: Brooks, Rivet, and vintage Ideale. This adjustment will elongate the saddle forward of the saddle rail clamps by maybe as much as 3 cm over time. No set criterion on saddle setback based on nose - behind - BB plumb can be reasonable, in that case. If a S-A rider was to follow the UCI constraint, he could easily and painfully end up with his sitbone contact points a few cm behind where they should be on those saddles.