Old 08-07-19, 06:52 AM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
It is common for a statement of the following form to be made - "you have to be a serious racer to justify the incremental aero and/or weight gains of a high end bike". I would not exactly quibble with that one, BTW.

My experience is interesting (to me, anyway). I am in the process of adding a new bike to my existing one bike stable. That existing bike has a high end frame (Bianchi EL-OS Nivacron steel) from the mid 90's with Chorus components and pretty good Bontrager RXL wheels (when I choose to ride them). Stripped down (for comparison with manufacturers stated weights) it comes in at just over 18 pounds with the RXL's and lightweight tires/tubes.

When looking at new road bikes (as opposed to adding a gravel bike or TT bike or ...), I just wasn't willing to get one that weighed more than my upgraded Bianchi (normalized for wheel/tire weight). I can't justify that but still felt comfortable with that perspective/decision. There is a lot of that around and I don't find it unreasonable. For some there is an inherent value in owning something high end. I am kind of doing that with bikes, but the only watch I own is a $20 Casio (which I wear daily, even to a social event that is coat and tie). To each his own.

dave