Old 01-28-21, 10:42 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
No, and I won't be any time soon - my current wheels are not compatible.

One guy in my club, upon his first tubeless foray, was so frustrated with trying to mount the Conti to his Ardennes that he gave up and went back to tubes. I never did get a crack at helping him, but they may still be around... Another club member, a short time after, had no issue mounting his new GP5Ks and razzed the first guy when he heard about the troubles.
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Yesterday I helped a friend install her new GP5000 tires on a Light Bicycle AR46 wheelset. I managed to get the tire on without tools, but she needed to use a Pedro's lever to get the last 5 inches over the bead hook. They are harder to install than most tires, but with proper technique and a little hand strength, they aren't impossible.

@WhyFi Please continue to shame your friend that gave up.
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
^This. I just don't have much if any sympathy for people that have a difficult time mounting tires. You can conquer it with brute strength or by technique or a combination of both. This is no different than any other thing in cycling...like climbing. No one who climbs well has any sympathy for me when I go jetting out the back - some are natural climbers and some have become good climbers by training and technique. I was naturally blessed with meat claws as hands.

I have to admit I sometimes enjoy selling a buddy a set of conti's and having them come back swearing it's impossible to mount them on their wheels and how they broke 2 levers only to mount them by hand without a lever right in front of them while they are still telling their story about how impossible it is. Simple things entertain me.
LOL, totally true. Psimet, and Noodle, would love to know what technique you are using. While I don't have meathooks for hands, I've spent well over 30 years in the industry in some fashion, used to build wheels as a kid for Marinoni, help change all tubes when on group rides, etc. I've been on Tubeless since 2013 and these dang tires are the only ones that have given me grief. I always need to use a lever, and my "technique" for whatever that's worth must be so useless that even with a lever causes me to use words that I'm sure have never been uttered before... This last one took me almost 15 minutes to mount onto the rim, used soap and water, etc.
Likes For robbyville: