View Single Post
Old 01-28-21, 11:23 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,971 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
It doesn’t prevent you from using any other pump. My comment was specifically aimed at pumps with a built in mechanical gauge. If that wasn’t clear, my apologies.

But you still have the same problem with any gauge unless it’s calibrated. You wind up living in your own little world with regards to tire pressure and you have no way to correlate to anything external. It that’s ok, then fine. Doesn’t work for me because I want to be able to replicate it with the several pumps I have and with others with whom I ride. I also want to be able to compare results with others. I can’t do that with an uncalibrated gauge.

So, look - it’s not worth the argument. If you find that works for you, great. It doesn’t work for me and it drives me nuts if I can’t replicate the pressure across my pumps and bikes and I don’t want to have to carry around my gold standard gauge all the time either.

J.
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
If you don't have an accurate pressure gauge, then a pressure calculator program is of no value. The gauge on my old pump was off by quite a bit, so I was using a significantly lower pressure than I thought. Calibrating my old pump was worth the effort.
I'm genuinely curious, since I did some research online before choosing the gauge that I pictured above, and never came across "calibrated" gauges for bike tires. Is this something you purchase, or is there some standard way of calibrating a gauge?