Thread: Birdy thread
View Single Post
Old 12-02-08, 03:06 PM
yangmusa

Bikes: Brompton H6, Schwinn Mirada, Cruzbike Sofrider. Used to own: ICE B1, 2 F-frame Moultons, Koga Myata Elevation 5000 mtb, Challenge Hurricane, Riese & Mueller Birdy Silver, Actionbent Tidalwave 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bhkyte
how usefull do birdy owners find the suspensionon the road.Would it be better without?
As the current owner of a Birdy and ex-owner of a Xootr Swift, I'm very happy with the suspension. The Xootr was a faster bike on perfect surfaces, but I found it jarring and uncomfortable on most of the roads locally. The Birdy is probably a little slower, but I find long rides much more comfortable. I've done lots of 30-60 mile rides on the Birdy and it's a real pleasure.

Actually, I'm considering making it my touring bike too. So I'd need to get the rear rack, and increase the gearing range. I have the 9-speed capreo, and am considering getting a 53/39 double crank. Has anyone done this conversion? I seem to remember reading that putting a double crank on may mean that the chain falls off more often when folding?