Old 01-25-16, 12:41 PM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
Stealth camping does have some upsides. Some parks in New England have a no booze policy. Just crickets is all you will hear after 8 pm. And most places I have stayed in New England have a quiet hour as well as a campfire out hour. And try for the ( cheaper) tent only areas, no RV's or electricity helps.
I agree that finding the primitive sites can often lead to less noise. One campground I stayed at was a little noisy because the RV next to me had their TV up too loud! All state parks I've stayed at have a no booze policy. It really affects nothing without enforcement. I think of it as a ready-made excuse to kick out any trouble makers, but I've never seen someone kicked out of a state park for booze in my area. But having the policy does make some people behave more discretely.

Couple of years ago my friend and I biked out to a state park where the campsites where accessible by a long (well it seemed long anyway, carrying a couple of panniers) hiking (no-bikes) path or by the river. When we set up camp, it was quiet, remote, and we were the only campers at any of the four available sites. Then a couple of boats floated in and the party started, and kept going into the night. Earplugs made it work out okay. I don't know if there would have even been a reasonable way to alert the park staff. No cell reception and a dark hike back to the check-in building made it easier to sit it out anyway. And once you blocked out the noise, it wasn't that big of a deal.