Old 06-17-19, 11:56 AM
jeremybart

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
40t cassette with new derailleur

Will share pics on frame once I'm allowed to post images (10 post min before allowed to post a bike pic).
Stock 34-46 crankset (cx compact) with an 11x32t cassette and 105 derailleur long cage and 105 sti shifters. Everything works smoothly and fantastic stock however my first off-road trip revealed steeper Climbs than my legs could climb seated.
Figured a quick upgrade of cassette or smaller ring would be simple enough but nay not so in the world of road based, 2x cycling world.
I thought with a new gravel bike it would be so much simpler.
After a few Google searches i learned that Shimano "long cage" road is actually Medium and a 32t max value with a 34t minimum on my crank kinda sucks. I figured a 30t chainring or a 36t cassette would be a cheap and easy fix.
Nope.
Apparently however the newer Shimano derailleur which includes a clutch btw, although it says 32t actually works in the real world with a 40t. So assuming upgrading the entire crankset is even more $$, plus i like my top end gear of 46x11t, I purchased an 11x40t XT cassette along with the new Shimano Ultegra R8000. Both are beautiful and i dare say not heavier in total than the parts they replaced.
Note check out how to before beginning as i had the screw wrong initially for the derailleur install and thiught I made a horrible mistake. Also, suggest new cable for derailleur to avoid fraying the old one on install.
So far my legs are happy but next race up 20% gravel climb will tell.
Will update in 1 week.
Jeremy from Ottawa