Fat Tire

Bikes: Torker Cargo-T, 1972 Raleigh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What if you are BOTH?

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Many forums have some sort of a sticky about choosing a bike, etc. I.e., the Clydesdale forum has special info for heavier and larger riders.

So, let's not try to do a "be all" thing, but instead the special things aimed at 50+'rs.

Good job, Cat
So what about us 50+ heavyweight then? We have to read through both sets of documents?

I think with the increase in internally geared hubs, people buying their first bike may be better served by more non-dérailleur information.(Like its not necessary to shift down before stopping, because you can shift while stopped/standing, without harming the hub.)

And the gear ratio of a Shimano eight speed hub, is about that of a 27 speed dérailleur, so they can buy a modern bike and not be plagued with shifting, while they learn to ride, in traffic, on an unadjusted bike. It can be hard, to get it all down at once, and it may be unnecessary. The downside is most 8 speed hubs cost an additional $150-200, which may not be all that large a sum. (Sheldon Brown has pretty good information about the gear ratios across many hubs, but it may need more info on the Nu Vinci (gearless) hub.)

On another topic, I have located a PDF file, originally from Rivendell Bicycle that may help people choose the size of their wheels and tires, to suit their riding styles/preferences/need for comfort, and most of us can stand to limit our choices, intelligently, up front.

Would that be better posted here, on the Clydes forum, or not at all?