Old 09-27-20, 11:31 AM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Bikes: '15 LeMond Washoe custom painted, '06 LeMond Croix de fer custom painted, '18 Specialized Crux

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by beaumontjl
Hello,

Like the title says, I'm looking for recommendations for a new steel bike under 1k. I currently ride a steel hybrid as my main get-around, fun neighborhood ride bike. I like the way the steel frame rides compared to aluminum bikes I've ridden, so I thought I'd look into that for my first road bike.

I'm not too fussed as far as groupset goes (I'm assuming that for my experience level and price range I'm probably looking at Claris or Tourney anyway); I can always upgrade that later if the bike rides well. Not planning on doing any competitive rides right now, I'm just in it for fun.

The only bikes I'm aware of are the Jamis Quest Sport and the Motobecane Gran Premio S and Elite. If you can point me towards any others, it would help quite a bit.

Thanks,
Your best bet is to try to find a used All-City Mr. Pink. It'll likely have a modern group on it. Good, quality steel frames, but you'll have to be patient and hunt to try to find one in your budget.