View Single Post
Old 11-23-05, 10:16 AM
SesameCrunch
Eschew Obfuscation

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Professional, 2002 Lemond Zurich, Folders - Strida, Merc, Dahon, Downtube, Recumbent folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SirScott
A brand new bike with delam problems? Call me skeptical.

I'm in agreement with the others who say that it's built that way. Numerous framesets have indentations or other design features where the front derailleur typically mounts. When you throw on a compact crank, the derailleur will have to be mounted a little bit closer to the bottom bracket and therefore not sit in that nice indentation.
I can buy the indentation as being designed in, but it doesn't explain the cloudy bubble, which was not there previously...

Plus, BobS's explanation of the manufacturing process/defect makes sense to me. They clamped the FD on too soon and the resin formed around the clamp. When we moved the FD, the stresses changed, and the separation occured, forming the bubble.

Whatever the cause of the indentation, my concern is now more about the bubble, which might be indicative of delamination. I'm planning to take it into the shop and see what they say. I'll give you all an update.

Thanks again for your input.