Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2764 Post(s)
Liked 2,539 Times in 1,434 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix
Off road? I want both brakes.

I've mentioned my motorcycle days often. I rode both street and dirt on my own motorcycles from age 20 to 38.

I remember one day I'm at a motocross track and a friend of mine offers up his Kawasaki KX250. He mentions his front brake wasn't working correctly, but I take it out anyway. I'm just taking a familiarity lap to get a feel for the bike, blasting between turns but taking it easy over jumps.

After one blast of the throttle I know I'm not going fast enough for an upcoming double jump so I hit the brakes to make that double into two singles.

Big mistake. That front brake didn't work at all. I went over the first jump with not enough speed scrubbed off to make the jump a single and I was going too slow to make it a double.

I cased the bike on the second jump which threw me to the ground hard. Dang near got a concussion even though I was wearing a helmet and I lost most of the flesh on my left forearm.

Good times. Good times.
Well of course you WANT both brakes, but the question being asked is which one to go with if there is only one.