Old 01-02-16, 03:56 PM
sumbikerguy123

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is my road bike steering characteristics common with all road bikes?

I have owned and rode a hybrid bike for the past 11 years. The hybrid bike is relatively comfortable and the steering is smoother than a road bike which I would expect.

Recently in August 2015, I purchased a Jamis Endura Elite CF road bike. I forgot how my first road bike handled it was so long ago?

My question is related to handling of the road bike, mostly in the steering area. My road bike's steering is skittish or a herky-jerky kind of steering, mostly when taking off from a stop or standing position. Once I get going its okay, but still somewhat skittish.

The wheelbase (WB) on the hybrid is 41.25". Whereas the road bikes WB is 39". A 2.25" difference. I'm not sure if this 2.25" WB difference has any bearing on the steering, but maybe moreso on the stability of the ride.

Having only my one road bike, I don't have anything to compare it with as far as the steering characteristics goes.

So my question is for those that have owned multiple road bikes or have experienced riding various road bikes.

Is the skittish-herky-jerky steering characteristics of my road bike similar to or a common handling/steering characteristic of road bikes?

Thanks.