Old 07-17-20, 02:23 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3235 Post(s)
Liked 3,882 Times in 1,442 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
So, Andy_K, what is your saddle height? I’m sure you know that is useful in looking at frame size.

My PBH is 36.5” and my saddle height is 32.5”. I’ve been using a 25” frame (ctt) for more than 40 years and that size still seems about right. These days I’m running the bars about level with the saddle. I’ve run much lower at times, but having the saddle level seems the most versatile way for my riding.

So, I’m running a frame 7.5” or 19 cm less than my seat height. That ends up also being about “a fistful of seatpost” exposed with a leather saddle (and about 20mm more while I’m using a modern plastic saddle).

Otto
I'm not sure about my PBH. I set my saddle 725mm from the bottom bracket (center to top) as measured more or less along the axis of a 73 degree seat tube. And I have the bars just about 5mm below the saddle on most bikes. On a couple of bikes they ended up slightly higher than the saddle somehow and I haven't bothered to fix it.

I'm much less concerned about a tall stem and how much seat post is showing than most people on this forum. I actually like the look of a slightly tall stem like I've got on the Sequoia. The Pinarello turned out to be beyond the bounds of what even I could live with (for purely aesthetic reasons),

I'm OK with anything from a fistful of seatpost to two fists. The Colnago and Competition are closer to three fingers. Even that only bothers me because of the workstand issue.