Old 01-14-21, 09:33 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I do not think that 26 inch wheels are that much stronger. I suspect that they are a bit, but I think the increase in strength is less than 10 percent. But using a tandem rear hub that is not dished probably adds more strength than the difference in size.

I have a few more 26 inch tires that are yet to get used, I am good for a while. Most of my distance is on 700c, so the 26 ones are not wearing down very fast. I am not looking to stock pile any more at this time.

Rear tire at end of my last tour in photo, I think it has one more tour to go before it gets relegated to riding around near home. Center knobs are about 50 percent worn off. 559X57 Marathon Extreme, they have been out of production now for quite a few years. Stored in a cool dry place. The tire sidewalls are quite flexible, these tires roll much better on pavement than they look, but they are quite noisy.

interesting your take on strength, I haven't a clue really, but for sure the fact that I'm not heavy makes things easier on my wheels.
those tires of yours are quite the chunky monkey tread. Did you use those in Iceland? They don't look that worn in the center.