Old 07-10-21, 06:14 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4426 Post(s)
Liked 4,072 Times in 2,715 Posts
Just in case someone stumbles across this and thinks yeah this is real I need that...DON'T. Saddle should be based on sit bones and should not be very wide unless you go more upright however keep in mind you still have to pedal. A motorcycle is not something you need to pedal hence you can have a very wide saddle, same thing with scooters but too wide of a saddle on a bike and you will have issues pedaling.

Measure your sit bones (ischial tuberosity) and look for saddles that closely match that and have a position that works for your body and riding position. Also keep in mind soft padded saddles DO NOT help with pain, they actually cause more pain as they don't give your sit bones support and that is what they need. Having padding is not bad at all but soft gels and covers and things like that don't actually help and can make things quite worse. Also keep in mind saddle pain might not be the saddle but your fit on the bike. If that saddle is not in the right position in terms of set back and height of your seatpost and where your bars are at and your hands sit, it could all cause pain that you may blame on your saddle.

You might try a bunch of different saddles in the search for the right one but you might also see your local fitter and have them give you some recommendations based on what they saw when doing your fit and their expertise of the body and cycling.

One final note: True E-bikes do require pedaling, those with throttles are really just poor mopeds but in that case if I want a throttle I want a motorcycle or a scooter or an actual moped but I would rather have a bicycle with pedal assist or not.
Likes For veganbikes: