View Single Post
Old 06-24-10, 01:04 AM
1987cp
Albatross bars are cool!!

Bikes: 1984 Cannondale ST; 1975 Raleigh Grand Prix; mystery Nashbar tandem MTB; 1991 Paramount Series 20 PDG (in bits); 1984 Raleigh Record (in smaller bits, needs dropout repair); 1985 Raleigh Alyeska (wrecked, needs downtube repair)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
1985 Raleigh (USA) Alyeska

I picked this up about a month ago when I was figuring up all the stuff I wanted to add to one of my existing bikes, and then suddenly realized I could save quite a bit of money by getting something road-ish that came stock with rack mounts, cantilever brakes, and relatively sturdy wheels (helpful since its typical load is about 260 lbs). Made in Taiwan and marketed by Huffy (according to info I've gleamed online), so it can't have been all that special when new, but butted chromoly can't be that bad, and so far I'm rather enjoying the thing.

I find it entertaining how Huffy named the top three of their four Raleigh USA "touring" models after destinations in Alaska - Alyeska, Kodiak, and Portage.

Pic from the eBay auction:

Pic from this past week:

Original specs from Retro Raleighs:

Changes you might notice include the 28/38/48 Biopace chainrings, the Dia-Compe brake levers and Pyramid shift levers, and the cheapie Pyramid chromoly stem. I haven't really done much else with it other than a little polishing and repacking the bottom bracket, unless you count accessories and used bar tape, but for my purposes at least, I think it's really starting to come together.

Last edited by 1987cp; 06-24-10 at 02:31 AM. Reason: Dia-Compe != Dura-Ace! D'oh!