View Single Post
Old 10-08-20, 11:23 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Symox
I wasn’t complaining, I was listing observations

Downgrading was probably the wrong turn. I was referring to what used to be Ultegras for a given price range of bike have now become 105s. However I have 105s which perform better than a previous generations (or two) Ultegras. The groups have all improved
Gotcha. Yes it costs more for the same level components now compared to 13 years ago. Thats basically what you said in the first point- stuff costs more now.

Your bike had a $2200 msrp. carbon frame and fork, 9sp 105 drivetrain.
Current Specialized Roubaix with carbon frame and fork, hydraulic thru axle disc brakes, stem suspension, and 10sp Tiagra drivetrain for $2200 msrp.

So 13 years later for the same cost, you get the same material frame and fork plus hydraulic disc brakes, stem suspension technology, and an extra cog in the rear.
And if you go with any number of other brands, you will actually have more value than the current Roubaix.

Enjoy your bike, but if it breaks tomorrow you can replace it for the same cost with something that is not a downgrade.
Likes For mstateglfr: