Old 07-12-20, 07:28 AM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
Thanks for the responses - it helps, even to know I'm not alone. I have two on-road local routes that are both designated 'bike routes' in a community that is generally supportive (greater Albuquerque) if not entirely sophisticated. Our MUP is also overrun with newbs on weekends, but one reason I love Albuquerque is that there really aren't that many people here, and weekday rides on the MUPs (we have many) are gloriously traffic free.

What makes me nervous is the demographic change in the nearby 'village' I have ridden for 12 years. Recently 'discovered' by rich, coastal retirees (and I'm one, so I think I can go there), it now has many drivers in pricey 'country cars' (the Lexus SUVs) who drive impatiently and obliviously. They bought their way into a 'cute' town, then lean on the horn behind tractors and ride a foot or two from cyclists. The town is five miles long; what on earth is the hurry? I'm used to angry idiots playing dumb games (who isn't, who has spent time on roads) but NOT people in $50k+ cars weaving in and out of marked bike lanes and rolling through stop signs without looking.

I'm frustrated, and scared.

Anyhow, thanks again, it's good to realize I'm not the only one. Off to do my Sunday ride on the MUP - I will be looking out for newbs and fams.