Old 07-14-20, 07:07 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Danhedonia
Not a frequent poster, and saw the horrible post about Peter Cotsis/PCAD's death. It hit home hugely, because after 40+ years of off/on road cycling, I've become frightened lately. I'd like to hear from others.

I bike a small number of "milk horse" routes in the greater Albuquerque area. By far my favorite route is the (lovely, scenic) MUP. I like it because there is no traffic. ABQ is fairly bike-friendly, and there are bike lanes and a reasonable 'general understanding' among the local drivers. There are, of course, always exceptions, and New Mexico has some grim stats on bike fatalities.

Recently I've had a couple of incidents on established routes that made me frightened. Both cases were cars passing too close. Not the purposeful, "Ah'm gon' show this cyclist" crap, but just oblivious to the need to provide 3-5 feet clearance (state law AND clearly posted on multiple signs on the roads in question).

Somehow, I feel like the category of "oblivious" drivers (not just those texting on their phones) has increased. Or perhaps I'm just getting old and nervous, I've no idea.

Would anyone else like to share their thoughts?
changes over what period? Since COVID I’ve been solo riding, and I seem to experience at least one “close shave” incident every ride these days, certainly more than I recall from routine solo riding years ago. I don’t think these encounters are malicious - more of the “don’t give a crap“ variety. It hasn’t deterred me from riding, but it definitely dampens enthusiasm somewhat